Trucks are being prevented by traffic officials on the N1 at Louis Trichardt in Limpopo from travelling to the Beitbridge Border Post in Musina as there’s already congestion at the port of entry.
South Africa’s ports of entry country-wide will open for everyone on Monday. They were closed last month to curb the spread of coronavirus.
Trucks crossing into Zimbabwean from South Africa’s side have been forming long queues since last week at Beitbridge.
One of the truck drivers who has been blocked from travelling to the border post says there is no access to water, food and ablution facilities.
“Since this morning we were told to park here, I don’t know why we are stopping here they say there’s too much queue in Beit Bridge. Where we are parking there’s no food, toilet, even water there’s nothing here we just park here we are stuck here they are not allowing us to drive.”
Another truck driver says he hopes they don’t see a repeat of the December situation.
“Even if they open it’s going to be like December time. Remember in December – we were stuck there two weeks. It might be open but it only for the protocol of corona you see.”
South Africa’s 20 ports of entry closed until 15 February:
The Cooperative Governance Ministry says all land borders will close at 9PM daily – in line with lockdown restrictions.
Cabinet has approved the extension of the national state of disaster until the 15th of March.
“With the extension there are further amendments and one of them is the borders – the 20 land borders – that were providing limited or restricted services are now fully operational. As from tomorrow they will be fully operational. Some of the borders were open 24 hours and some were open until midnight – but due to the curfew and restrictions those borders will now close at 9 o’clock,” explains the national COGTA spokesperson, Lungi Mtshali.
Source: SABC News (sabcnews.com)